Goodbye Mr. Chips Chapter 17
Mr. Chips chapter 17 Short AN Simple Questions Answers
- What did Chips’ doctor say to him on a foggy morning in 1933?
- Ans: The doctor asked Chips if he felt hale and hearty, advising him to stay indoors due to the prevalent flu.
- What were the two things Chips had never done in life?
- Ans: Chips had never traveled by air, and he had never been to a talky show (cinema).
- What arrangements did Mrs. Wickett make for Mr. Chips before she went to visit her relatives?
- Ans: Mrs. Wickett left tea things ready on the table with bread and butter, along with extra cups in case someone called on him.
- How did Chips respond to Linford’s query?
- Ans: Chips didn’t disappoint the young visitor. He invited Linford to have a cup of tea with him and asked him to sit by the fire.
- How did Chips help Linford overcome his fear?
- Ans: Chips reassured Linford by sharing his own experiences of arriving at Brookfield, emphasizing that the school would become less daunting as he got used to it.
- What different matters did Chips discuss with Linford?
- Ans: Chips discussed various topics with Linford, including Shropshire (Linford’s hometown), school life, current news in the newspapers, and the challenges of growing up in a difficult world.
- How did Chips feel after seeing off Linford?
- Ans: Chips was so tired that he couldn’t move. He leaned back in his chair and fell asleep in a sitting posture.
- What did Merivale envy about Mr. Chips?
- Ans: Merivale envied Chips’ freedom and care-free life, wishing he could experience such a life for a day or two.
- Who was Linford?
- Ans: Linford was a new boy at Brookfield, originally from Shropshire. He had no family relations at the school and had recently recovered from a stay in a sanatorium. He was the last boy to visit Chips before his death.
- What did Linford’s farewell meeting remind Chips of?
- Ans: Linford’s farewell, saying “Good-Bye, Mr. Chips,” reminded Chips of Katherine Bridges, who had once mocked his seriousness using the same words some three decades ago.