1st year English: chapter-2 (Clearing in the Sky) important MCQs
(1) How many children had the old man
(2) What did the old man cut with his pocket knife?
(3) The old man wanted to show his son _.
(A) his farm
(B) a patch of clearing✅
(C) his land
(4) The day was _.
(5) How many years ago did the doctor advise the old man to take a rest?
(6) In how many years did the old man improve the land?
(7) Why did the old man hunt for squirrels?
(A) to sell
(B) to cook for the meal✅
(C) to kill
(D) to keep as pets
(8) What type of special tree was found by the old man?
(D) coffee tree✅
(9) The clearing on the top was not more than __.
(A) three acres
(B) two acres
(C) four acres
(D) three-fourth acres✅
(10) The land was fenced by __.
(A) the son
(B) the old man✅
(C) the mother
(D) the brother of the old man
(1) Jess’s father lived to raise a family of five children. ” To raise” here means __.
(A) to feed
(B) to bring up✅
(C) to arouse
(D) to boost up
(2) When he made up his mind to do a thing, he would do it even if he had to __.
(3) The pines on top of the mountain above us looked as if the fingers of their long boughs were __.
(4) Within the distance of a few __ several paths left the main path and circled around the slope, gradually climbing the mountain.
(5) Many of the trees were sixty feet tall and the wild __ had matted their tops together.
(6) According to Jess’s father, when you are past seventy, you feel like, __.
(A) ploughing the land that has not been touched.
(B) being with your family as long as you can.
(C) going back to the places you knew and loved.✅
(D) taking life easy and enjoy the remaining days of your life.
(7) What trees were growing on the top of the mountain?
(A) coffee trees
(B) oak trees
(8) What is the average age of a man according to the Good Book?
(A) 50 years
(B) 70 years✅
(C) 60 years
(D) 80 years
(9) Where did Jess lose his little plough?
(A) in the bushes
(B) in the grass
(C) in a furrow✅
(D) in a canal
(10) Why did Jess’s father make many paths to the clearing?
(A) to earn money
(B) for fun
(C) for exercise
(D) to test his health✅
(11) The writer had just finished walking __ uphill from his home to his father’s.
(A) two miles
(B) a half mile✅
(C) one mile
(D) a full mile
(12) The writer’s father had gone to eight different doctors from __.
(A) January until March
(B) January until April✅
(C) February until April
(D) January until February
(13) The morning wind was so good to breath in __.
(14) How many doctors had the old man visited from January until April?
(15) The writer had been over that point many times with the exception of the __.
(A) last two years
(B) last three years✅
(C) last one year
(D) last five years
(16) While climbing the second steep bluff, the old man stopped __ to wipe the sweat from his eyes.
(D) four times
(17) One of the doctors had told the old man not to walk the length of a __.
(A) city block✅
(B) a mile
(D) a square block
(18) The writer had never seen anything __ upon this high point of the rugged land.
(19) In the clearing, the writer did not see a single __.
(20) The rabbits became ripe in the month of __.
(21) What did Jess bring for his mother?
(A) a gift
(B) a basket of dishes✅
(C) a basket of fruits
(22) The old man made so many paths to know he was __.
(A) getting lost
(B) getting serious
(C) falling ill
(D) getting better✅
(23) The writer could not drive his car because there were________.
(A) many bends
(B) two slips✅
(C) steep mountains
(D) three slips
(24) Jess’s father raised __ of corn to the shock.
(A) a barrel✅
(B) three barrels
(C) 2 barrels
(D) four barrels
(25) The old man let the dirt run between his fingers and said that it was like __.
(A) fertile land
(B) fresh air✅
(D) soft snow
All Chapter important MCQs
(Clearing in the Sky) Questions & Answers